Welcome to my world!!!!

I enjoy sharing my thoughts with the world. Even though some of the content is based in Atlanta i will include some FABULOUS things that all singles can relate to. ENJOY

About Me

My photo
Atlanta/ Huntsville, Georgia/Alabama, United States
Sometimes I don't know what to right so I just write what I know...

Wednesday, November 26, 2008

RECYCLE , REDUCE, REUSE

Words to live by when it come to making the world green and reducing your carbon footprint. Today I'm not talking about saving the world , I'm talking about saving your money. I enjoy thinking of new ways to stretch the almighty dollar . Single life can be filled with unnecessary spending habits. We buy a new outfit every time we go out, spend money on trips and eating out, we don't look for sales and don't take the time to clip coupons and plan meals so we don't over spend at the posh grocery store we frequent. Following a well thought out budget and making great money choices now will help you in the long run.... Here my strategy....

REDUCE the amount of times you eat out. I have a very dear friend (I WON'T OUT HER.... SHAY!!!) that I enjoy eating with. We like to go to new spots in the city and literally forget our supposed diets. We can spend about 20-30 dollars at the most eating out ,and that can add up. ( 200 dollars a month ) . If you enjoy eating out as much as I do cut somewhere else. Take you lunch to work . Fastfood is bad for you anyway so make a list of favorite lunch foods (i.e roast beef sandwiches, tunafish and crackers, even soft tacos) . Write down all your favs and make them apart of your grocery list. Also because you should be cooking more then eating out anyway save your leftover in a travel size tupperware so you can reheat it for you lunch.
Total savings 170 per month just on eating lunch out during the work week.

RECYCLE your old clothes. Have you heard the old saying , one mans trash is another mans treasure. Twice a year I go on a CLEAN MY CLOSET expedition. Make it a team effort so you'll enjoy doing it. First take your unwanted clothes to your local consignment shop. While you wait see if there is any FABULOUS find in the store.( some stores give you a discount or credit toward your purchase if they use any of you things. Once finished take all the leftovers and donate them to the local salvation army or Goodwill they will give you a receipt and you can write it off on your taxes. Remember unwanted clothes do not go back in the closet.
Total savings depends on what clothes you have but it is so worth it

REDUCE the amount of time in your car. I'm very fortunate I live close to a train station so I park and ride. I can get so much done on the train. For instance I took the train to pay my power bill ( it was only 45 dollars) , Go to the grocery store and the bank, Go to the movies and shopping, have a quick bite with friends, grab some gifts for my mom and even take a walk in 5 points. It only cost me 4 dollars where that could have easily been 1 tank of gas . I was able to read and relax on the train. I didn't worry about parking fees either.
Total saving 100 dollars a month.

REUSE your grocery list. I have on my fridge a list of what I call food staples. I went to Wal-Mart one day and I bought only necessities , meats, pasta, bread , cheese,etc. I spent about 50 on just food staples. My shopping budget a month is 100-120 dollars depending on the economy and what I can catch on sale or with coupons. Because I start cooking more to save on the cost of eating out I have a list of rules. 1) I but generic items when ever possible. generic peanut butter taste the same as the peanut butter you pay for with the fancy packaging. You may only save pennies but ,it adds up . 2)Coupon city...... I clip them and I get that from my mother. Also you can find some good ones online if all you need is some patience and a printer. 3). Don't buy snack food if you can make your own. (muffin mix is so much cheaper them in the package . Go online to find good snack recipes and you can add them to you shopping list. 4) Don't buy bottled water . Invest in a water filter and a washable container to keep your water in. You'll save loads. 5) plan your meals ahead ,it will reduce the amount of trips to the grocery store,and eating out.

QUICK TIP!! Alot of grocery stores and drug store offer savings card they are miracle workers . KROGER AND CVS are 2 of my favorites.

So there you go , these are just to easy not to do ,all it take is planning and a little will power. You'll thank me later.
MUAH...


1 comment:

*Diane* said...

i'm so with you about this list. i need to work on making my lunch though. I never make it the night before and i always run out time in the mornings.